Tokologo is a Setswana word meaning “freedom”, it emanates from the relentless struggle of the oppressed people culminating in their freedom on 27 April 1994.
A progressive municipality, which through cooperative governance creates conditions for economic growth, social development and meet the basic needs of the community and improve the quality of life of all residents.
- Tokologo Local Municipality is committed to provide a better life for all residents within its area of jurisdiction through:
- Creating conditions for economic growth and sustainability
- Improving access to basic services
- Promoting social upliftment through improved education, skills development and job opportunities
- Ensuring cooperative, transparent and democratic governance through community participation and involvement
- Creating a healthy and safe environment; and
- improving sport and recreation facilities
Tokologo Local Municipality was established in terms of Section 14 of the Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, Act No 117 of 1998 and was published in Provincial Gazette No 109 dated 28 September 2000. It is a plenary municipality.
Key development objectives
- Eradicate sewer backlog
- Provide sufficient, clean water
- Complete RDP houses
- Speed up the provision of electricity connections to households
- Improve and maintain municipal roads
- Establish a new solid-waste site in Boshof
- Improve waste management in all three towns
- Create sustainable jobs and maintain them